Your Best Self, who is that?
By: Ayla Khosroshahi, MA, ACC
Who is Your Best Self (YBS)? Why is YBS an important person to get to know? How do you get to know this version of you?
We spend a lot of time getting to know YBS with our coaching clients, in our training programs and in our workshops. Why? Because it’s where the magic starts. YBS is the foundation; it has the power to guide, shape, and create the person you are becoming. This is the version of you that lays the foundation of the house you want to build. Your ultimate house. The one that houses your dreams, goals, hopes, joy, and strength. For us to build this house we need to get to know who this house is being built for. Who is Your Best Self?
Neuroscience tells us successful goals require a will and a way. A why before our how. Why holds all of our secrets. When we spend the time to get to know ourselves on this deeper level – get to know what makes us tick and why – we have a better chance of creating the impact we want to.
When you get to know Your Best Self you can use it as an anchor to weather the storm. A guide to remind you where you want to go. This is our greatest MINDSHIFT tool when we need to reframe our mindset and perform at our best.
Try it at home. Get to know Your Best Self. And use it to build the foundation to your house.
What you need:
- At least 30mins of uninterrupted time (that means no phone, internet, TV, etc.)
- Something to write on and something to write with
- Somewhere comfortable to sit (or lay)
- An open mind
How to get started:
- Take three deep breaths
- Ask yourself the questions below, allow yourself to think about them, and rethink.
- As images, responses, reflections come, write them out, freely.
Questions to ponder:
- Who is your best self?
- Who is the person you aspire to be?
- Who is the person that embodies all the qualities you value most?
- What does it feel to be this person?
- How does it feel to smile as this person?
- What brings your best self joy?
- When is your best self the most caring?
- How does that make you feel?
- When does your best self feel the most confident?
- What traits of your best self are you applying in that moment?
- When do you feel most proud of yourself?
- How are you presenting yourself in that moment?
- What feels the most authentic to your best self?
- Who is Your Best Self?
- How does it feel to be this version of you?
- What are you doing?
- How are you dressing?
- What do you smell like?
- How are you speaking?
- How would you describe Your Best Self.
- Why? What is it about those qualities/ characteristics that you relate to the most?
- How does this person impact those around them?
- Why? What are you doing to create this impact?
- How does this person act in challenging/conflict situations?
- Why? What are you doing in those situations?
Take a moment at review your notes.
- How would you describe your Your Best Self in three words.
- What do these words mean to you? Define them for yourself.
- How can you hold yourself accountable to these qualities?
Your Best Self makes you accountable to who you are bringing to the table, who you present as every day, and who everyone is interacting with/ reacting to. Your actions should be dictated by YBS. Behaviour is defined as what can be seen and heard. Ask yourself: How do I define myself through my behaviour?
It is your job to connect to these ideal qualities and characteristics, when you make decisions and face challenges – the more you embody them – the more likely your creations come to life – the more impact you make. It’s your business to create and live as Your Best Self – you decide the story you want to write. You decide the house you are going to build.